Research Program Manager – Wastewater Collection and Treatment
Are you passionate about water, public health, and the environment? The Water Research Foundation (WRF) is seeking like-minded professionals to join our collaborative team. As the leading, world-renowned water research organization, WRF is dedicated to advancing the science of water to meet the evolving needs of our subscribers and the water sector. We are a nonprofit organization that funds, manages, and publishes research on the technology, operation, and management of all water systems. It's an exciting time to be at WRF. Join us and make a difference in the world of water!
WRF is seeking a full-time Research Program Manager in our Alexandria, VA office, who will be focusing on wastewater collection and treatment, and sustainable water infrastructure systems. The Research Program Manager is accountable for planning research, managing projects, and providing technical oversight to ensure that WRF's research program is scientifically credible and responsive to utility needs. The position is also accountable for creating, maintaining, and disseminating knowledge resources on selected topics of critical importance to water utilities and the water community.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop and maintain an in-depth understanding of specific wastewater collection and/or treatment related topics, and sustainable water infrastructure systems.
- Collaborate with industry experts on professional committees to develop research agendas, design research projects, and monitor technical progress.
- Manage projects to ensure fiscal responsibility, timeliness, and contractual compliance.
- Manage, support, and coordinate the activities of volunteer advisory committees for assigned research projects and research topics.
- Provide technical content, prepare original materials, and respond to requests for information.
- Provide an elevated level of customer service to subscribers through presentations, authorship, conference involvement, professional association membership, and interactions with media.
- Lead or support proposal development teams in response to external grant funding opportunities.
- Minimum of 5 years of knowledge and experience in wastewater collection and/or treatment processes.
- A PhD could substitute for 3 years of experience and a Master’s degree for 2 years of experience.
- Proven Project Management experience.
- Documented competencies in technical writing and oral presentation.
- Experience with group facilitation and working with volunteers and/or committees is preferred.
- Master’s degree in civil or environmental engineering or other related fields with course and project work in wastewater collection and/or treatment is required.
- PhD degree in civil or environmental engineering or other related fields with practical work experience in wastewater collection and/or treatment is preferred.
- Must work well in a group environment but also be independently driven.
- Domestic travel of 10–20% is required for conferences and meetings, and occasional international travel may also be required.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the USA.
- A casual, professional, and collaborative environment
- Competitive salary:
- The pay range for this position is $70,000–$85,000 (if calculated on an annual basis), based on qualifications and experience
- An outstanding benefit package including:
- Health, dental, and vision plans
- Company paid life insurance along with supplemental options
- Ancillary benefit programs
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Paid sick and vacation time
- Flexible work arrangement and scheduling to enhance work/life balance
Use the following form forms.waterrf.org/223203979838063 to submit your cover letter/salary range expectations and resume.
WRF is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
No immigration or relocation assistance is available for this position.