Anticipating Trade-Offs of Using Alternative Water Supplies
Task 1. Information Collection
- Task 1.1. Develop Literature Review - A draft report was completed during the previous reporting period. Results from the literature review will be included in the guidance slidedoc to support the “storyline.” A revised document will be included in the draft report that will accompany the draft guidance slidedoc.
- Task 1.2 Conduct Utility Survey - A utility survey was completed during the previous reporting period. There was a total of 683 survey responses. Key takeaways were incorporated into the pre-workshop slidedoc to support the “storyline.” Survey results will be included in the draft report.
- Task 1.3 Conduct One-on-One Interviews and Develop Case Studies Six agencies participated in one-on-one interviews. These were as follows:
- Denver Water
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power
- San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
- Santa Clara Valley Water District
- Sydney Water
- West Palm Beach
The agencies covered the range of alternative water supply types, geographies, and type of entity (i.e., public and private). During this period, case studies for these utilities were revised and organized for inclusion in the draft report, as well as for the guidance slidedoc, to highlight tradeoffs associated with the water supply alternatives. Most of the case studies have been finalized with the respective water agencies. Where final comments from the agencies are still pending a note has been included in the text. Other case study examples will also be developed for use in the slidedoc to further highlight costs and benefits for specific supply strategies as needed.
Task 2. Information Exchange
- Task 2.1 Plan Expert Workshop & Task 2.2 Conduct Expert Workshop - The expert workshop took place in Golden, Colorado, on August 2 and 3, 2018. A total of 25 individuals participated in identifying and discussing trade-offs for alternative water supplies and providing input into the content and organization of the final slidedoc guidance document.
Task 3: Communication of Findings
- Task 3.1 Develop Guidance Manual - Slidedoc Development has begun on the guidance manual slidedoc. A draft will be submitted for review as scheduled on February 15, 2019. The draft report supplement with the revised literature survey, utility survey, and case studies will be included with that deliverable.
- Task 3.2 Develop Digital Dialogue - This subtask is under development. We will engage the PAC ahead of the next (draft report) due date of February 15, 2019 to present a proposed approach for this work so that the draft product is well developed and ready for a second review.
Download the project for more information.