Director of Water Innovation
The Water Research Foundation (WRF) is the leading research organization advancing the science of all water to meet the evolving needs of its subscribers and the water sector. WRF is a nonprofit, educational organization that funds, manages, and publishes research on the technology, operation, and management of drinking water, wastewater, reuse, and stormwater systems—all in pursuit of ensuring water quality and improving water services to the public.
WRF has an opening for Director of Water Innovation to take the Leaders Innovation Forum for Technology (LIFT) to new heights. LIFT is a multi-pronged initiative first undertaken by WRF and The Water Environment Foundation (WEF) to accelerate the adoption and integration of innovation across the entire water sector in partnership with water, wastewater, stormwater and water reuse facilities at the municipal and industrial scale. The Director is responsible for the financial and technical outcomes and expanding the success of the LIFT Program including collaborative research and demonstration projects that will implement innovative integrated water management approaches and technologies.
- Directs LIFT program with responsibility for promoting innovation across the water sector, including integrated water management and adoption of innovative technologies.
- Develops relationships with leading research, industry and professional organizations and associations, WRF subscriber organizations and partners, researchers and technology developers to promote collaboration, coordination and communication, and advance innovative approaches across the water sector.
- In collaboration with WEF, develops partnerships with organizations to grow the LIFT program.
- Directs and oversees the LIFT Working Group and technology evaluation groups.
- Serves as the WRF primary liaison with the pool of Volunteer Experts in technology innovation in the water sector.
- Develops and implements a strategic approach to management and organization of LIFT program and staff.
- Planning, execution and oversight of the LIFT budget.
- Leads effective customer service efforts for current and potential future LIFT participants.
- Promotes Targeted Collaborative Research initiatives to advance evaluation of new technologies to support the water sector.
- Develops metrics of success for the LIFT program.
- Directs and orchestrates conference calls, webcasts, promotions and conferences to promote LIFT goals.
- Closely coordinates LIFT efforts with all WRF programs including research, subscriber services, communications and outreach.
- Closely coordinates with WRF staff and leadership to develop funding and partnership opportunities to advance and grow the LIFT program.
- Advise the WRF leadership team on development and administration of WRF policies and practices relating to technology evaluation and integration.
- Provides direction for the development of LIFT marketing and support materials in coordination with the Communications and Marketing Team.
- Closely coordinates with Subscriber Services to conduct subscriber outreach for the LIFT program, as well as Director of Water Innovation presentations at conferences and events.
- Develops collaborative and synergistic relationships with management team members that promote teamwork and team-building.
- Advanced degree in relevant scientific or engineering field.
- 10 years’ relevant technical experience with water environment background.
- 3 -5 years’ management experience or equivalent combination or management/business administration education and experience.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and public speaking, and meeting facilitation skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and Outlook.
- Organized, detail-oriented, diplomatic, proactive, self-motivated, dependable, and driven by excellence.
- Able to establish and maintain cooperative and positive working relationships with colleagues and partners.
- Even-tempered and able to balance multiple tasks in accordance with changing deadlines and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with individuals of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Office environment – located in either Alexandria, VA or Denver, CO
- Travel 30-50%
Work in a collaborative, collegial environment with like-minded professionals dedicated to the science of water and the environment. WRF values employee welfare by offering a comprehensive benefit package and flexible work arrangements for work/life balance.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Is this the next step in your professional development? As Director of Water Innovation at WRF, work with cutting edge technologies and experts in the water sector. Facilitate the process in which technologies evolve from concept to application and be instrumental in the process of advancing the science of water.
Interested candidates should submit their application and the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover Letter
Unless a submission deadline has been defined, resumes will be reviewed as they are received, with interviews for promising candidates scheduled on a rolling basis until the position is filled.